Sunday, January 30, 2011

Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!

This week, I went to the zoo! That was my LA activity for the week. I've lived here for 8 1/2 years and have never gone. What's worse is I've never lived that far away. In fact, I've lived exactly 5.4 miles away for the last couple of years. It's practically a hop, skip, and a jump away. So I finally made the trek out to Griffith Park and visited the zoo.

I haven't been to many zoos in my lifetime, so I was excited. I did manage to go to the San Diego Zoo, but my zoo inexperience left me befuddled with how fancy that one is supposed to be. I liked it. I had fun. But I wasn't in awe as I had nothing to really compare it to. I think I went to the St. Louis Zoo and maybe Tulsa or Little Rock when I was super duper young, but I barely remember it. Maybe I need to go back to fully appreciate it.

But back to the LA Zoo. It was super fun! I was like a little kid frolicking around oohing and awing over all the animals. I watched the elephants give themselves a dirt bath. I watched a baby orangutan showing off for his mommy and daddy. I watched some tigers lounging. I watched a bear playing with a piece of wood. I saw some kangaroos hopping around. Turns out they were actually wallabies. Learned that wallabies look a lot like kangaroos. I tried to take a picture of one that had a baby in its pouch, but you can't really tell. Needless to say, it was cute.

All in all, it was fantastic, and I'll definitely be headed back soon. Now I wonder what my next LA adventure will be?

1 comment:

UnicycleRose said...

I love the zoo and have been to the L.A. zoo .. but, I always feel bad that "they" have to live in the city and smog. However, it's a blessing to see them in action and safe. Thanks for the New Zoo Review!!