Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Arkansas Christmas

This will be the first year that I'll be by myself on Christmas day and only the second time that I've ever spent the holiday outside of Arkansas. I wasn't planning on going home at all because flights are just too darn expensive. But luckily I was able to find a cheap flight, so this past weekend I headed out to Little Rock for a Turner Christmas celebration. After taking the red-eye from LA to Chicago (which left an hour late causing me to miss my connecting flight and have to wait 2.5 hours to catch the next one), I arrived in Little Rock at about 10:30 am. After a quick hello to my brother and nephew, my parents and I headed to Fort Smith, so I could see my grandparents. On the way to the Fort, I insisted we stop over in Russellville and eat at Whataburger, home of the best milkshakes in the country! And yes, it was absolutely freezing outside!! I had a nice, albeit brief, visit with my grandparents, then we got up Saturday morning and headed back to Little Rock.

I spent the rest of the weekend hanging out with my niece and nephew. We opened our gifts Saturday night and spent the next two days playing laser tag and Hannah Montana video games. Caroline and Nicholas even decorated a gingerbread house, which I forgot to take a picture of. Their motto...if you make a mistake, eat it! Each morning, Caroline and Nicholas would get up and find where Billy the elf had gone to. You see, Billy watches Caroline and Nicholas during the day to make sure they are being good. Then, at night he goes to the North Pole to report their behavior to Santa Clause and shows up in a new spot in the morning to keep them on their toes. Nicholas was able to snap a picture of the elusive Billy.


All in all, it was a great weekend! I got to visit with my family, I was fed delicious home cooked food (it's wonderful having a brother and sister-in-law who like to cook!!), I got to eat good Mexican food (which is sadly missing in LA), and I had a cherry vanilla Dr Pepper from Sonic (another thing sadly missing in LA). If only I could've stayed just a few more days!

2 comments:

Matt and Jolee said...

And, you missed you're big sister being there.

Now, the elf is hilarious. What a good idea! Who came up with that?

Did you get a picture of Shannon's short haircut? I can see her in the background of one and she had told me she chopped it off.

Looks like you guys had fun! Ahh.. mexican food and Sonic drinks - now you get them more often than me.

The Traxsons said...

Looks like you had a great time! However I kept waiting for you to mention your incredible sadness over your sister not being there as well...but no mention of her at all...I miss you Jolee even if Terri doesn't ;)