Sunday, September 21, 2008

Emmy Redux

I forgot my own rules!! I still say everyone on my list below is who should have won. But after fast-forwarding through the broadcast this morning, I was painfully aware that I didn't follow my own rules and that's just silly! If I would've done that, my picks would've been darn near perfect.

Case in point:
Dianne Wiest - Primarily a respected movie actor doing TV upsets the much more deserving Chandra Wilson for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series.
Jean Smart - A beloved former television star coming back to a TV comedy upsets the more deserving Amy Poehler and Kristen Chenoweth. Samantha Who is one of my favorite shows, but Jean Smart is the least funny character on there...not that I don't love her! It's just that Amy and Kristen are much more funny in their respective performances.

And I forgot about the Emmy/Oscar rule of "if you should've won for a show/movie previously, we'll likely award you an Emmy/Oscar if you're ever nominated again whether or not you deserve it":
Bryan Cranston - He should've won for Malcolm in the Middle, but never did. I can't be certain this is the reason he won, since I've never seen his new show. But I've definitely got my suspicions.

Overall, the Emmys were a snooze-fest. That opening was horrendous! I mainly fast-forwarded through it to see the winners and doubt I'll go back and watch much more.

What did we learn?

1) TV hosts are not good Emmy hosts and pretending to have nothing to say is not funny (kuddos to Jeremy Piven for mocking them!).

1.5) Ricky Gervais, Steve Carell, Jon Stewert, and Stephen Colbert are comedy gold. Can we have them tag-team host next year?

2) We should all be Democrats because Republicans are idiots.

2.5) If you make a political movie about the absurdity of our government and primarily Republicans, you're probably gonna win over a much more deserving film (see Recount beating A Raisin in the Sun - I tried to watch Recount, but it was so not that good that I actually stopped...which is something I rarely do).

3) Ok, we get it. Jeremy Piven is really great on Entourage. I think it's about time for him to take his name out of consideration a la Candice Bergen.

4) Josh Groban is a talented dude. Not only can he do classical music, he can even do TV themes!

5) 30 Rock is the most awesome show on TV and Tina Fey rocks!!

Alright, that's all I got. In the vein of Kristin Wiig's character Aunt Linda on SNL, I give the 2008 Emmys a big "Oh, Brother!" and a "Ghaa!".

Turner Out!

2 comments:

The Traxsons said...

I didn't even watch them. I saw a replay of Josh Groban singing the theme songs...maybe it's just me, but that so did not work. Josh Groban singing Primus (South Park theme) was just wrong. He's very talented, but whoever decided to have him sing those theme songs was crazy!

Christy said...

I gave the show a big "yawn".