Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Koln, Cologne...whatever!

Yesterday, we made the trek up to Cologne. It was the first big city I've been to in Europe. It was much more like the Europe I had envisioned. Much like I'm sure people envision the US as Los Angeles or New York and not Fort Smith!

A little history because I'm me and a post is not complete without some. Cologne is the fourth largest city in Germany, home to about 1 million people. Its most famous structure is the Cologne Cathedral. Construction began on the cathedral in 1248, but it wasn't actually completed until 1880. It houses the Shrine of the Three Kings, which supposedly holds the remains of the Magi. Everything in Cologne was demolished in a WWII air raid except the cathedral. You can google a picture to check it out because it's pretty neat (maybe neat's not the right word!). And lastly, Cologne is the birthplace of Eau de Cologne. For the record, I have to learn all of this stuff myself because my sister has very little interest in these things.

I don't have too terribly many pics to post. I took a gazillion pictures of the Cologne Cathedral, but I'm just going to post a few. It was absolutely gorgeous on the outside. The inside was beautiful too, but not as beautiful as the cathedral in Trier. But it definitely takes the prize for exterior beauty. When I got home I realized I neglected to take pictures in the walkplatz, though we did stroll around there some. We were very American and ate lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe. But I had to get a guitar pin, so the trip there was necessary! I still haven't eaten at a German restaurant. But once Matt gets back in town, Jolee and I are going to go to one. I need me some schnitzel!

Without further ado...




The Cathedral

I don't know if you can get a sense of the intricacy of the cathedral from the above two pics. Below is a picture of one doorway. Notice that they are all individual people. This is but one example of the detail of the outside.

Inside the Cathedral

A dead dude

Jordyn literally stuffing a sock in itJolee discovering she's been pooped on! Pesky pigeons!
That's all folks! Tomorrow's stop...Belgium!

3 comments:

Matt and Jolee said...

I'm reading it. Though, I'm also spending 24/7 with you right now, so I think you are aware. :-)

The Traxsons said...

what is it with jolee and bird poop anyway?

Sisters said...

You look like you are having a blast....how fun to be with yoru sister in another country..too cool.
AJL