Saturday, February 21, 2009

My First Wreck...

And it only took 28 years.

I was headed back home after seeing He's Just Not That Into You, and I completely ran a red light. Yep, I'm a genius. I was having one of those completely zoned out moments. Absolutely had my eyes on the road, but my brain stopped working. And rather than me slam into the guy turning left, the guy turning left slammed into me. It's a weird intersection. Let's just say there's a little bit of a parking lot/median to cross, so he had time to speed up a bit. Granted, I don't know how he didn't see me because he had to have had time to stop or at least notice that I wasn't stopping. I'm thinking that he was zoned out a little bit, too, but that's neither here nor there. It was my fault. I'm the one who ran the red light.

I'm ok, but my poor little car is not. I have a feeling they're going to total it. Honestly, I don't know how I didn't get hurt. If you could see my car, the entire driver's side is just squished. He was driving a big truck and t-boned me. I spun around and came to a stop facing the opposite direction. But Honda's are awesome, and I was still able to drive it off the road and out of the way of traffic.

I'm sure I'll be sore in the morning. The adrenaline is fading away and the left side of my body is slowly starting to feel the impact. But my mind is going to take longer to recover because every time I close my eyes I see the truck slamming into me. It's not a pleasant feeling.

Ah well, such is life. I'm alive and well and, more importantly, insured.

On a side note, the movie was really good!!

6 comments:

Kristen Ferguson said...

Goodness Terri!! Glad you are okay. I totally understand the whole zoned out thing when driving. Pains me to admit this, but there are days that I cannot remember how I got to work. It is like you are running on pure remembrance or something.
Keep taking some Tylenol or Advil...probably for a while!!

Matt and Jolee said...

Oh no! I'm sorry... I'll call you today. I remember my first wreck, in SC. Matt was gone on his first TDY, we had just moved there and I only knew one person to call. Of course, she didn't answer so the cop had to take me home, along with my new ficus tree!

Guess that's one way to have to get a new car...At least you had your money's worth out of it and you have a job! :)

Jenny said...

I'm so glad to hear that you are okay! I hope all the details work out. Hang in there!

The Magsigs said...

I'm glad that you're okay! I think that one can only live in LA for so long without some sort of altercation :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you weren't hurt! I've definitely gone through a red light or two when I wasn't paying attention. Hope you're feeling okay today!

The Traxsons said...

I'm glad you're ok! That's so scary...I do the same thing all the time though - zoning out while driving. Luckily, I haven't run any lights but I miss my turns all the time and have to turn around and go back!