Thursday, March 12, 2009

Student loan forgiveness?

All this stimulus crap annoys me. I hate that I have the wrong kind of debt. No one out there is trying to give me a handout. Sure, we'll give money to all of the idiots who got us into this mess. And we'll even give help to those people that got in over there heads with mortgages they couldn't afford. But no one's even offering to give any help to those of us who play by the rules. I bought in to the idea that a higher education is the way to go. You'll earn more money, they all said. Now I'm stuck with massive student loan debt and a crazy low paying job in this horrible economy. All of the firms, even the big guys with the fancy offices in all the big cities, are laying off everyone left and right. Which leaves even more lawyers in the pool competing for the same limited number of jobs, and companies/firms are taking advantage of the situation by paying measly salaries. So now there are lots of lawyers out there like me. Just out of law school, tons of debt, and being paid slightly more than just out of college salaries, i.e. barely scraping by. Ergo, spending absolutely no money because we have none to spend. But no one seems to care because it's just not the right kind of debt.

Turns out, there's a whole group of folks who have the same thinking I do, and they're actually doing something about it. Here are a couple of links in case you're interested.

Forgiving Student Loan Debt Would Stimulate Economy (Serious)
Student Loan Bailout. Just Do It. (Funny)

Student loan forgiveness? Ahhh, wishful thinking!

1 comment:

Mrs. Blansett said...

Hey Terri! I just stumbled on your blog and wanted to say hi! Hope you are doing well!!

Nhi