Monday, September 10, 2007

The Nines

One of the great things about living in LA is that you have the opportunity to see a lot of really great independent movies that tend to bypass middle America. One such little movie I had the pleasure of seeing this weekend was The Nines. Now I'm gonna be honest, I was initially drawn to the movie because Ryan Reynolds was in it, and I love me some Ryan! But I thought the story looked pretty intriguing as well and decided to check it out.

I'm not going to comment much on the actual story because I want to encourage everyone to go see it...or more realistically, rent it. The writer/director crafted a well thought out allegory that addresses the relationship of the creator and his creation. After a little digging, I learned that the writer is openly gay and from what I can gather non-religious. So, wait a minute...an openly gay, nonreligious man made what I believe is one of the most accurate and most thought-provoking religious themed movies I've ever seen? Don't get me wrong, there were several glaring theological inaccuracies, but as a whole he nailed it. Just goes to show you that everyone is aching for an explanation/understanding and while many don't even realize it, it's already written on their heart. I found this so very encouraging. Just imagine what we can do if Christians bombard the industry. And be encouraged, they are trying! I get the joy of living amidst them and seeing their progression every day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is very encouraging! I'm gonna rent that movie (if I can remember - ha). Another good job on your writing skills...
Love, Kathy