Monday, October 22, 2007

SoCal Fires

When I first moved out here, everyone would call anytime there was any wildfire in the area. Over the years, people have come to be concerned less and less because only once has one of them been anywhere remotely near me. This time is no exception as I've continued moving further and further into the city, thus necessitating less concern. However, the Malibu fire that continues to burn out of control is continuing to scorch and threaten an area that I spent the better part of 4 years in. I found some pictures online to give y'all an idea.

This is a picture looking directly at the law school. I lived in campus housing that is just on the other side of the law school. I was talking to one of my friends last night about how absurd we thought it was that we had to have wildfire evacuation drills when we lived there, but I guess it's a good thing that they make residents do that year after year. I'm so thankful that I'm not having to deal with all of that. I can only imagine that most of the grad school residents feel pretty helpless because it is heavily attended by out of state students, unlike most of the undergrad who can pack up and go home.

The fire has destroyed several homes in the area. I was saddened to hear that it burned down the "beloved" Castle. I say beloved in quotes because many area residents consider it an eyesore. I, however, always thought it was pretty awesome. It was always a location I pointed out to anyone who visited me. The picture below is what it looked like sitting up on the Malibu hillside in all its glory.



The fire also burned down a church right across the street from Pepperdine. I passed Malibu Presbyterian every day going to and from school. It's kinda bizarre to think that it's not there anymore. One of the local morning show hosts lives in Malibu and attends church there. As her pastor pointed out to his congregation in the midst of this travesty, a church is not the building, but rather the people. I pray that the weather shifts and the firefighters can get all of these raging fires under control, and I pray that all of the individuals affected by these fires can take solace in the fact that a home is not the building, but rather the people.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a terrible loss. We are so thankful you are ok.

Matt and Jolee said...

For some reason, I can't picture where the church was but I definitely recognize the "castle." I didn't realize they were so close to Pepperdine until yesterday. It's sad and I'm glad you're far away now!!! Well, not really far, but far enough I hope.