Friday, January 4, 2008

2 things on my mind: Britney & Huck

1) Britney. I loved Britney, and it took a looooong time for me to accept her craziness. But I'm there now and have been for awhile. Despite all the wackiness that she is very responsible for, I can't help but feel sorry for her. The pictures and video that emerged today of her being taken out on a gurney with the paparazzi swarming her is just sickening. How those guys can sleep at night is beyond my comprehension. I love to see pics of celebs out on the town just like the next guy, but I have my limits and I'd like to hope that most of America does, too. I can't imagine what it must be like to have 50+ grown men shoving cameras down your throat any time you step outside your door. I do agree that fame and intrigue comes with the job, but not this insane degree of it. Britney obviously has some severe mental issues and we need to just leave her the heck alone. If she's going to continue her downward spiral and not get the help she needs, then let her do it out of the public eye. No more pictures, no more videos. It's just ridiculous.

2) Mike Huckabee. I'm not really surprised that he won in Iowa. It's amazing how evangelical Christians can get behind a candidate and have such a huge impact. But I find it equally as scary. If someone gets up and says they are a Christian (not just in name, but actually goes to church regularly), pro-life, and against homosexuality, then an insane number of people will blindly follow him. Now I feel like a broken record saying this, but I'm not talking about the people who actually know the issues and his stance on them and believe he most closely aligns with their views. I have absolutely no problem in the world with that group of people. I'm just talking about the people who hear that he's a Christian and support him solely because of that. Does that group of people even know what he stands for outside of the two moral issues? Do you know that he has a track record of big government spending and raising taxes as governor of Arkansas? He even created a government funded children's healthcare program. Are you aware that these are all traditionally liberal positions? Did you pay any attention to his statement after Bhutto's assassination that highlighted his severe lack of foreign policy knowledge? My point is simply this...please research, research, research!! Elections are far too important to get behind a candidate only because they share your faith. FYI, Obama, Clinton, Edwards, and McCain (and Romney if you count Mormonism as part of the Christian faith) are all professing Christians and regular church attendees.

No comments: