Wednesday, June 11, 2008

My gripe about Californians...or at least Angelenos

The majority of them have absolutely no common courtesy! I've lived here for almost 6 years now, and you would think by now I'd be used to this but I'm just not. And for some reason it's been driving me especially insane the last few weeks. I'm not saying they are rude or mean, just that they have no social manners. No one holds the door for anyone. Rarely do you get a thank you or excuse me. They don't believe in the courtesy waive when you let them into traffic. No one looks at each other when you pass them on the sidewalk or in the store. Or if they do, they just stare at you. Just little things like that. I get that those of us who grew up in the south have manners instilled in us from a young age, but I like to think that deep down everyone has a sense of common courtesy. But maybe I'm just giving human beings too much credit.

2 comments:

Matt and Jolee said...

Come live in Germany and then you'll "think" they don't have courtesy. Believe me! It's a definite different culture. Most of our neighbors are friendly, but in a store or general public, you can forget it. They stare, never smile, have very few customer service skills at stores, etc... Not all of them, some are nice but very few have the courtesy skills you are speaking of.

The Traxsons said...

Wow, I guess I really take it for granted that I live where, for the most part, everyone is friendly :) I get so ticked when someone doesn't use the courtesy wave after I've let them into traffic ;) And actually, that doesn't happen very often (not getting the wave).