Sunday, August 24, 2008

Farewell Beijing!



I must admit that I'm a little sad that the Olympics are over. As a kid, I can remember crying when the games ended. I loved them that much and hated that I would have to wait 4 more years to watch them again. Thankfully though, they started staggering the Winter and Summer Olympics, so I don't get too emotional about it anymore. But I still get a little verklempt. What can I say? I love sports, and I LOVE the Olympics!

Below are a few of my favorite things. Since the games are about sportsmanship and pride, I'm going to leave out the negatives and only reflect on the positives.

1) Nastia Liukin & Shawn Johnson - I love that those 2 dominated gymnastics. We may not have the best team in the world, but we've definitely got the 2 best gymnasts!

2) Michael Phelps - His feat was truly amazing. I wonder if we'll ever see anything like that again?!

3) Jason Lezak - Best comeback ever. I heart him.

4) Men's Indoor Volleyball Gold - How fitting that they brought home the gold after the tragedy that befell their coach at the game's opening. I can only imagine what an extreme range of emotions he and his family have gone through in the last 2 weeks.

5) Men's Basketball Gold - We're back, baby! We better not ever lose that gold again!

6) Usain Bolt - I have never seen someone run with such ease. He is truly the fastest man I have ever seen with my own 2 eyes.

7) USA Softball - It was heartbreaking watching them lose the gold! Knowing this was their last Olympics, they embarked on a worldwide goodwill journey to drum up support for their sport in hopes of saving it. What should've been capped off with a glorious gold, turned into a disappointing silver. But maybe, just maybe, proved to the IOC that the world is catching up and gives me a glimmer of hope that this sport might be reinstated. I only wish I had a USA softball team to look up to when I was a youngster. But I've loved getting to follow them as an adult because it makes me feel like a kid again. Here's hoping we see softball back in the 2016 games!

Well folks, that's a wrap (and my cue to change the blog layout). Only a year and a half until the Winter Olympics!

No comments: