Monday, August 18, 2008

Long awaited Olympic thoughts...

So I've been out-of-town the last few days for a wedding. Luckily, I was still able to obsessively watch the Olympics. The following are my thoughts...

1) Michael Phelps is sick! How awesome was it when he won by a fingernail?! I wasn't convinced he won even after showing 8 gazillion replays. I don't think the eye is supposed to comprehend a mere hundredth of a second. But I trust that those high speed cameras and touch pad sensors got it right. And don't even get me started on what he eats during the day. That's just insane!

2) We took gold and silver in the women's all-around. Only we took it in the opposite order I wanted. I'm not going to lie, I was rooting for Shawn Johnson. Nastia Liukin rubbed me the wrong way during team finals She just didn't seem very friendly or nice. But I warmed up to her during the all-around after I figured out that she just does some intense focusing during the competition. And who can fault her for that?

3) The men's basketball team is kicking butt and they better keep it up!
4) Dara Torres won a silver in her first individual event. She's 41 and the second fastest swimmer in the world! That's amazing! And her body is crazy awesome. I'm gonna work on getting some abs like that.



5) Women's Gymnastics event finals: Oksana Chusovitina of Germany winning a silver on the vault at 33...just plain awesome! Alicia Sacramone missing out on the bronze in the same event to a Chinese gymnast who fell (see #6 below)...just plain sucks! Shawn Johnson getting silver again on the floor. What does that poor girl need to do to get a gold?! Here's hoping she succeeds on the balance beam. And finally, Nastia Liukin getting second on the uneven bars because of a stupid tie-breaker just sucks. Her routine was better (again, see #6) and at the very least, they should both get the gold!

6) Women's Gymnastics scoring: What the heck is going on with the scoring?! I thought this new system was supposed to prevent stupidity and bias? But time after time I've seen our girls perform beautiful routines and get low scores only to be followed by other athletes with many more noticeable mistakes getting higher marks. I'm just glad Nastia and Shawn were still able to pull out the gold and silver in the all-around because it sure seemed to me that the judges were doing their best to prevent it.

That's all I've got for now. I'll be back with more later.

No comments: