Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas Travels

I've been an absentee blogger due to Christmas activities, but now I'm back and I've brought you a nice little (ok, probably massively long!) summary of my Arkansas visit.

I flew through Chicago where it had just started snowing. It kept snowing and snowing and snowing some more. I had a 2 hour layover and was beginning to fear I might get stuck there. But thankfully, I got out of there after about a two hour delay. I arrived in LR where it was freezing. And the freezing continued the entire time I was there!

I got to hang out with the fam, including a visit with my grandparents, going on a shopping date with my mom and aunt, and spending time playing with the kiddos. Plus, I got to hang out with two of my best friends. It was a busy week, but a fun one. We topped it off by exchanging gifts and a good time was had by all. I got kitchen utensils!! Woohoo, it's exactly what I asked for!! How boring do we get when we become adults that we ask for whisks and serving spoons and decorative pillows?! Next year, I'm asking for a Wii!

The day I was to fly back to LA, we awoke to freezing rain. We made our way to the airport without too much trouble. I got myself and my baggage all checked in and then waited til the last minute to go through security. As we said our goodbyes, mom started to cry (as usual), which then made me start to cry (also as usual). Then I scurried off while removing my shoes and my belt to expedite the process.

I got to my gate and everything was looking good, until it came time to board. Our plane wasn't there for us to board, so we waited. It finally arrived and we got on our way an hour late. Did I mention that I only had a 55 minute layover?! We arrived at DFW, and I immediately forgot how much I hate that airport as the pilot informed us that we had to taxi to the complete opposite side. Of course, this only takes about 15 or 20 minutes. Argh! At that point, I wasn't in much of a hurry because I was pretty confident that I'd missed my flight. I got off the plane pretty quickly though and soon realized that my connecting flight was also delayed. Yay! I ran through the airport (which is not something I've ever done!) and made it to my gate in time to board my flight.

I arrived in LA about and hour or so after I was scheduled to land, so it didn't turn out too bad. Or so I thought. I waited for my luggage and waited and waited and waited. Evidently, it wasn't as fortunate as I was in making that connecting flight. After about an hour ordeal where I waited for the next plane in from DFW only to find my luggage didn't arrive on it either, I was finally able to file my claim and go home. Only now it was 5 pm....in LA...which means TRAFFIC!!! Argh again! I always time my flights early in the afternoon or late in the evening to avoid traffic. But given the setbacks, I was right smack in the middle of rush hour. Now I live 13.8 miles from the airport. Any guesses on how long it took to get there? A whopping hour and a half!!

But it gets better. I have no luggage and I need some essentials (e.g. contact solution, toothpaste, hairbrush, deodorant, etc.). So after that ordeal I get the pleasure of going to Target on the evening of December 23rd. It was chaos and it was all I could do but laugh at the situation. Here I am, completely done with my Christmas, fighting the last minute shoppers to stock up on things that were in my suitcase, which was who knows where!

Then I headed over to help set-up for our Christmas eve service and had a marvelous evening and realized how trivial my day had really been. So what if my bag was gone, I could replace it. No big deal. I made it back safely and that was most important. After a late night helping out, I awoke the next morning to a phone call at 7:45 saying they found my luggage and it would be delivered between 10 and 12. Woohoo!! I got a happy ending!


I'll be back a little later with a posting about Christmas day. This was getting kinda long, so I figured I should break it up.

No comments: