Saturday, January 24, 2009

Oscar Noms

And now for my reflections on this years Oscar nominations...

What's with the Benjamin Button lovefest? I just don't get why that movie is nominated or Brad Pitt for that matter. And I like Brad. I think he's a good actor, but I didn't think he did much in this movie other than stand there with cool looking makeup on. Though I'm ok with Taraji P. Henson being nominated. She's the only character I cared about in that movie. And I don't mind the directing nod and all the technical nominations because it looked pretty impressive on screen.

And don't even get me started on The Reader. I saw this last night, and I urge you to stay away. The entire first half is just nudity and sex. I had to shut my eyes and wished I could shut my ears. The second half of the movie I found very interesting and moving. But the first half just corrupted the whole thing. We get it! Kate Winslet's character had an affair with a 15 year old boy. But we don't need to see it over and over and over again. Enough!

Me, I would throw out Benjamin Button and The Reader and replace them with Doubt and The Dark Knight. Those were both far superior movies, in my opinion. I can't make a comment on Milk because I haven't seen it, nor do I plan to. But I'm a-ok with the other best picture noms. I guess I'll jump on the Slumdog bandwagon and pull for it. I don't think it's the best movie of the year, but it's the best of the bunch that were nominated and I hope it wins. It'll be nice to see an uplifting film win for a change.

As for the individual noms, everything went about as expected. The only changes I'd make would be to nominate Kate Winslet for Revolutionary Road instead of The Reader. She was much better in that film. And I would've liked to have seen Rosemarie Dewitt nominated in the Supporting Actress category. She played the titular character in Rachel Getting Married opposite Anne Hathaway. And while I think Anne was amazing, I think Rosemarie was even better. I also would've given Christopher Nolan a directing nom for The Dark Knight and not given one to The Reader.

So there you have it. Those are my thoughts on the nominations. All in all, it went like I expected. What did y'all think?

As far as predictions, I'll post those closer to awards time.

1 comment:

Matt and Jolee said...

What did I think? I've seen NONE of the movies... so... I'll just stick with what YOU think. :)