Saturday, January 3, 2009

Today's Movie...Revolutionary Road

I'm beginning to think Sam Mendes has a particular disdain for the American suburbs. Though I don't really know why considering he's British, and I believe he and Kate split their time between NYC and London. Which leaves me doubting he's ever actually lived in an American suburb. So that leads me to believe he just hates the idea of the American dream. Ergo, he hates America. Ok, that's harsh, and I'm kidding...a little. But this really did feel like American Beauty, version 2.0.

I had high hopes for this movie because what girl my age doesn't hold a special place in her heart for Kate and Leo?! I think both of them have developed into mighty fine actors. Unfortunately for Leonardo, too many people can't see past his Titanic induced heartthrob status and baby face to see that he's one of the best actors out there. Luckily, Kate hasn't had this problem. I thought both of them gave great performances, but that wasn't enough. I just didn't find myself caring about their characters. So I didn't care that their marriage was crumbling and life wasn't what they thought it would be. And who decided the suburbs were such a bad thing?! There are people out there who enjoy them. Just as there are people out there who enjoy the city life. But I don't really see many movies bashing the city life. Oh wait, that's because all the moviemakers live in the city. That's right. How silly of me.

I was reading reviews after I watched it and came across the following one in The Hollywood Reporter that I think sums up my feelings exactly. I've included a link in case you care to read it. But be warned, there are spoilers.

The Hollywood Reporter Review

No comments: