Wednesday, November 5, 2008

One last political post...

...for awhile at least.

I thought my last post was going to be my last political post. I told myself I was going to hold my tongue on how certain things turned out in CA and AR. But I've been listening to helicopters circling overhead covering the big protest against Prop 8 that was staged tonight. I'm watching the news coverage. People are marching, blocking traffic, getting arrested (though for the most part pretty peaceful). So as much as I was trying to let it go, it won't go away.

One of the arguments I've made from the beginning is that passing Prop 8 isn't going to make the issue go away. Someone will file suit, the courts will rule it unconstitutional (because it is), and we'll be back in the same place in the next election or the following one. They're not going to give up. This is absolutely the most important issue for them right now. Is this a fight we really want to continue?

And I'm not even going to get started on the Arkansas ban on unmarried couples (read: gays) serving as foster or adoptive parents. There are so many kids in need of loving homes. Isn't it more important to place them in loving homes where they will be cared for rather than have them sitting in state run institutions? I read that on any given day 3,000 children are left in state custody and looking for a permanent home. 3,000! If you voted for the ban, are you prepared to open up your homes to these children?

Let me also state that I'm in the minority amongst my friends (who happen to all go to my church) in my views. I don't want you to think I've not gone and joined some hippie-dippie liberal church that's tainted my mind. Far from it. They're all uber-conservative just like most of you.

I'm going to try to stop posting about this for awhile because I get it's not your favorite thing to read about. But let me warn you...the longer this goes on, the more passionate I get.

1 comment:

The Traxsons said...

Again, I very very rarely make any political statements whatsoever, but I was so so so disappointed in the outcome of the ban on unmarried adoption. I think it's so obvious that people who are voting to limit the number of families that children in need can be placed with or adopted by are not at all thinking about the children. They are just allowing their own homophobic ideas overshadow the needs of the children. I know they'd argue that it is not in the best interest of the children to be placed in a "nontraditional" family, but those folks would be put through the same tests and evaluations as any other potential adoptive parents...anyone willing and able to love and care for a child should be allowed to.