Saturday, November 1, 2008

Halloween Madness

There are two things West Hollywood goes all out for - the gay pride parade and Halloween. While the gay pride parade is heavily attended by the gay community, the Halloween Carnival attracts a good chunk of LA. I had been warned by friends who used to live in the neighborhood that it would be crazy. Lots of people. Lots of traffic. But my friend insisted I had to check it out. And she's a preacher's wife, so if she says it's all right, then I trust her.

Santa Monica Blvd. was completely shut down in West Hollywood for the festivities. Now, mind you, this is a main east-west thoroughfare through Los Angeles and pretty much the main drag through WeHo. It's such a big ordeal that the city even sends out postcards to all the residents reminding them of the event and listing all the road closures.


A couple of friends came over and we ventured out into the wild unknown. We walked up and down Santa Monica checking out all the crazy costumes. We had a bet going to see what the most popular costume would be. The girls picked the Joker. The boys picked Sarah Palin. While it was a very close race, I'm happy to say the Joker pulled it out. It's really amazing some of the creativity of the costumes. But LA is where creative people come, so I guess it makes sense. I said my costume was An Arkie in LA since I didn't want to dress up. Then we decided I looked kinda like Sweet Dee from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. She and I rock the same style, so I think it worked. Though I don't think that really counts because truthfully, I was just rockin' it Terri style.


All in all, it was a fun evening. Much tamer than I expected. The real craziness happened when we got back to the apartment and 12 people managed to get stuck in the elevator. We had to call the firefighters to come get them out. Stupid drunk people! You can't fit 12 people in our little elevator. Geniuses! Oh well, it made for an interesting evening.

1 comment:

The Traxsons said...

that looks like fun to me!