Friday, October 17, 2008

I can see! I can see!

I've lived most of my life with bad eyes. It's the one thing that annoys me about my brother and sister. They have perfect vision. Only now I think they're finally starting to experience vision problems associated with aging, which I enjoy. I know that's mean, but it's true. I've worn glasses or contacts since I was 9. Though I'm pretty certain I needed them before that. It just took me a little while to convince my parents that I really couldn't see and wasn't just wanting glasses for the sake of having glasses. Thanks Dad for finally believing me!

Everything was hunky dory until college when my eyeballs decided to go insane. They decided they no longer liked to have contacts on them. I spent a year living with bloodshot eyes and mostly wearing glasses while my doctor tried contact after contact to see if anything would work. Luckily, my eyeballs finally decided that they would allow daily disposable lenses to rest on them without throwing a fit. Problem is, daily lenses at the time didn't correct for astigmatism. So I've spent the last 8 years walking around in contacts that still don't completely correct my vision. I could see pretty clearly within a few feet in front of me, but beyond that...out of focus. I did a lot of squinting to read signs and just had to realize I wouldn't be able to read it until I was right up on it. But I learned to deal. At least I could wear contacts and not have to deal with glasses. I hate glasses!

Fear has kept me from trying any new contacts. That was a crappy year, and I really don't want to relive it. But I finally decided that I was sick of not being able to see and honestly, those daily lenses were breaking my wallet! Plus, Mom was always telling me there were now disposable Toric lenses. So yesterday, I went to a new doctor and he fixed me up with some good ol' 2 week disposable Toric lenses. And now, I can see!! He told me my vision with the old contacts shouldn't have passed the eye exam on the driver's test in California. I actually just passed that test about a year and a half ago, albeit with a lot of squinting! Oops!

It's amazing how you learn to deal with something and don't think it's that bad until it's corrected and you actually experience how much better it is.

3 comments:

Greg, Kristy, and John Lleyton said...

oh terri! I feel your pain. I have always had terrible eyesight! I would love to be able to wake one night and be able to see my alarm clock!

Matt and Jolee said...

So you think its funny I'm beginning to squint every once in a while??!! Ha.. ha... ha. I don't. I haven't ever had a true eye exam, so I don't even know what one is like. However, I have a feeling that one of these days I'll have to go. You should have the eye surgery like Matt did. He can see much better than me now and is so glad he did it!

Becky said...

I'm glad you didn't blame me for your vision going bad around college. I've spent the last 10 years feeling guilty for giving you pink eye!