Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Prop 8


This is the first year I get to vote in California. Prop 8, the marriage protection amendment, is the hot non-presidential topic out here, and that puts me in a unique position. This is the second time I'll get to vote for or against a marriage protection amendment. I got to vote on Arkansas' proposition in the last election, and now I get to vote on California's. I wonder how many people have gotten to vote on this issue twice?

If you noticed the picture I posted, you already now how I feel. I didn't vote for the amendment in Arkansas, and I absolutely will not vote for it in California. This is another one of those issues where I'm in the minority and feel that Christians have it all wrong. How am I ever going to be able to minister to a homosexual when I voted against this amendment? They won't be able to look past what they perceive as my hatred for them as a person.

Prop 8 and all these similar marriage amendments are discrimination, plain and simple. I'm not asking churches to start marrying homosexuals. I am absolutely opposed to that. I'm simply voting to allow homosexuals to marry in the eyes of the state. What does that mean? They can file a joint tax return, they can visit their partner in the hospital when only family members are allowed, the child they're raising together won't go into a foster home when the biological parent passes away. It's simply a matter of rights, and I don't understand why people are so adament about denying them.

We're so wrapped up in protecting an institution that's falling apart. Who decided that fighting against gay marriage is a way to preserve the institution? Gay people aren't corrupting marriage and the family. Godless marriages, too easily obtained divorces, absentee fathers...those are the things tainting marriage and the family.

Bottom line, I think we need to get our priorities straight. A lot of money has been spent on supporting these amendments that would've gone a long way in assisting the homeless, the poor, the jobless. Oh, but wait, if Prop 8 passes, we've preserved marriage! I ask you...have we? Or is marriage in the same state it was before while we've managed to further alienate a group of people we are trying to reach?

2 comments:

The Traxsons said...

I am not very politically minded and have a hard time even understanding half of what is said in regards to politics, but this is one area where I do have a strong opinion as well - and I share yours...I can't vote in CA obviously, but you go girl!

Anonymous said...

we get to vote on this same issue again in Arkansas. Ridiculous if you ask me. Considering its a major trend amoung 20-40 year "typical" relationships to not marry, but continue a partnership as if they were, etc. I think its crazy people are only focused on one side of this case. And now AR has a big problem with not being able to place ofster children. So sad.