Saturday, October 4, 2008

I'm going to borrow Jolee's idea and give my Paris presentation in three parts.

Day 1

We left for Paris bright and early in the morning. Needless to say, I was beyond excited. We managed to fill up the gas tank along the way thanks to Matt's instructions. It's all different in France as they specify fuel types by numbers instead of unleaded, super-unleaded, and diesel. Jolee drove superbly and we arrived without any catastrophes. We checked into the hotel, then ventured off to Versailles. We Turner's don't fly by the seat of our pants very often, so we had pretty much mapped out each of our days there.

We got to Versailles pretty easily, though we ended up buying two tickets because evidently the Paris metro tickets only work on the RER for Paris stops. Once we paid Versailles to let us enter their sacred land, we were off to the Palace. I turned right out of the train station because I felt like it was the proper direction though I didn't actually say this out loud. Jolee just thought I knew where I was going, so she followed. When we walked a block, I told her I had no clue where to go...I was just going on instinct. But we rounded the corner and saw tons of cars and buses. Low and behold, my instincts were right once again! As we approached, I was like what the crap is this?! You can see in one of the pictures below that it just wasn't that impressive from the outside. There's a huge parking lot obstructing the view, and of course, they were doing construction. So we didn't really get to see what the outside looks like in all its glory.

Luckily, the inside made up for it fully! I'm not going to give you much of the history. It's interesting when you're there, but I don't know how interesting it is when you look at someone else's pictures. We toured the Palace, the gardens, the Grand Trianon, and the Petit Trianon. The Petit Trianon is where Marie Antoinette spent most of her time. If you've ever seen the movie, then those pics are probably familiar to you. If you have more interest in the history, then I would recommend Wikipedia. If you ever go to Paris, you've got to go to Versailles. You will not regret it!

After Versailles, we meandered around Paris for awhile. Jolee remembered a Planet Hollywood on Champs Elysees, so we decided to be all American and go eat some fajitas. Now mind you, we'd barely eaten all day and were both starting to get grouchy. We walked up and down the avenue and couldn't find it. Finally, Jolee called Matt. He gave us the exact address. We found the spot, but wouldn't you know it was closed!! They had shut it down. I was getting grouchier by the minute, but it was pretty darn funny. We finally went back to the hotel and ate at the restaurant in the lobby. And so ended day one of our Paris adventure.

No comments: